Hi Five Oakers,
There are several things I want to share with you today.
#1 – What a great baptism service. Over 40 people were baptized! The sounds of worship reverberated into downtown Hudson. The gospel of God’s grace and our need for his grace was preached. And, to top it all off, the weather was absolutely perfect.
#2 – I’m writing this on Wednesday, the day before the Global Leadership Summit. By the time this goes online, I’ll be exhausted from the first day and loving it. Can’t wait to see how God will speak to us during the this year’s Summit.
#3 – SO much work being done inside and outside our building. Walls being re-painted, parking lot being resurfaced, concrete being poured. Soon the street sign will be going up. Radio drive will be opened. Carpet will be installed. The Children’s Wing will be receiving a major new look. And all will be ready for fall kickoff of our new ministry year. .
#4 – One of our members was at the Washington County Fair last week and was checking out the Union Gospel Mission booth. He told the man at the booth that our church contributes to the Thanksgiving food bags. So the guy asked, “What church?” When he told him the guy said, “Five Oaks? They’re our greatest contributor to the Thanksgiving drive for years.” Way to go Five Oaks!
#5 – Here’s my sermon in 8 tweets, “Be Prepared,” Exodus 5:1-7:7:
- How to prepare for baptism. Hold your breath Hold your nose. Hold your ground.
- Keep holding your ground. Difficulty, tests of your faith, suffering and trouble are coming!
- The Holy Spirit drove Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted by Satan right after his baptism.
- Moses was surprised in spite of the fact that God told him Pharaoh would not give up easily. Don’t be surprised like he was.
- There are no mountain top experiences that aren’t followed by a valley.
- Moses was surprised but he did the right thing. We can do it too. He went to God and poured out his heart to him.
- Difficulty is how God deepens your dependence on him.
- Kyle’s four-year-old helping him push the heavy desk. “Dad, can you get out of my way?” He actually thought he was doing the pushing.
I’m still looking for that magic wand to get you there for this weekend.
Blessings to all of you, Pastor Henry