This is a tough topic to try to cover in one message, so here are some additional resources. This is not comprehensive. It's only a starting place. I haven't thoroughly vetted all of the resources, and I'm neither an expert on this nor versed on all the ins and outs, so proceed with caution.
On sex/sexuality as a gift from God:
- My absolute favorite book on this topic is Real Sex: The Naked Truth about Chastity by Lauren F. Winner. This is a great book that is both intellectually stimulating and personal.
On biblical interpretation and homosexuality:
- This book is long, detailed and expensive, but it's the most definitive, biblical and thorough study to date of the biblical evidence: The Bible and Homosexual Practice: Texts and Hermeneutics by Robert A.J. Gagnon.
- Here's a resource by the same author that addresses five key issues of interpretation regarding what the Bible says about homosexuality. I think you'll find this very illuminating and helpful: "What the Evidence Really Says about Scripture and Homosexual Practice: Five Issues" by Robert A. J. Gagnon, Ph.D: Download
On a biblical approach to issues regarding homosexuality:
- I found this article very helpful (even though the "current" in the title refers to 1995): Homosexuality: Current Thinking and Biblical Guidelines by Ed Welch.
- I can't recommend enough the chapter on "Homosexual Marriage as a Challenge to the Church: Biblical and Cultural Reflections" in Sex and the Supremacy of Christ, edited by John Piper and Justin Taylor.
- This book was highly recommended to me by someone I trust who is well informed on this topic: The Complete Christian Guide to Understanding Homosexuality: A Biblical and Compassionate Response to Same-Sex Attraction by Joe Dallas and Nancy Heche.
- One of our staff members found this book very helpful in helping others who are struggling with same-sex attraction issues: Homosexuality and the Christian: A Guide for Parents, Pastors, and Friends by Mark A. Yarhouse.
On parenting issues regarding homosexuality and same-sex attraction:
- "The Words No Parent Wants to Hear" by Tim Geiger
- "My son is gay. Should I try to make him change or accept him as he is?" Video answer by John Townsend.
- See Yarhouse above.
Ministries that focus on help and healing for sexual brokenness: