Here are some details on the five steps I suggested this weekend for keeping our resolve.
- Admit to God where you’re deviating from his will for your life. It may be in a relationship or in your thought life or in the use of your time or money. Confess it to him.
- Write down your resolution for change and review it regularly.
- Share it with someone who will ask you about it. Encouragement and accountability. Just sharing your goal may hurt your chances of success.
- Put Edwards’ words at the top of the page. (Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these resolutions.)
- Set aside a regular time for cultivating your relationship with God. The more you know him and spend time with him, the more you will grow to love him and desire to honor him.
And here is an article on the limits of willpower.