Here's a recent post by Dave Kraft, Leadership Development Pastor for Mars Hill Church:
7 Things I’m Doing to Simplify My Life and Ministry:
- Turning down opportunities that might be a good use of who I am but not the best use of who I am. Just last week I said no to two people who offered me a great chance to do something.
- Never saying yes to anything over the phone, but buying time to think and pray about it.
- Practicing the theology of enough. I have no list of things that fall into the category of: I would be happy if______.
- Asking God to deliver me from an unhealthy appetite for acclaim, approval, position, power, and honor that would push me to do more and more for the wrong reasons.
- Praying to be released from the restless, gnawing greed for more money and more stuff.
- Daily reminding myself of who I am and who I am not—being content to be me.
- Carving out sufficient time alone with God for humble contemplation—to give him opportunity to quiet my anxious heart and keep me focused on my “few themes.”
It’s not easy living “simply” in a culture that demands more, rewards competition, and admires power and position. But, by God’s grace, I’m going to live in biblical simplicity.