It has been a couple of years since we have sponsored a family mission trip, but you won't have to wait much longer for the next one. The P.E.A.C.E. team is partnering with Meg Boren (nurse and full-time missionary) in providing a family short-term mission trip to Nicaragua on March 12-20, 2011. Team Leader Matt Turvey will be hosting an informational meeting on Saturday, Sept. 11 at 1:00 p.m. at his home. Childcare will be provided. Children as young as age 5 can participate on this mission experience. Email me from this site to RSVP or to get more information about the meeting. I'll forward your email.
If you're a member of Five Oaks, please read all the way through this post. I received an email from Jerry Meras, our Outreach Director, to the PEACE leaders and coordinators outlining some of our recent PEACE initiatives and I think you should know as well. Here's are just some of the things your money and your church is doing:
- Pastor Henry and Pastor Trent Redmann of Valley Creek Church trained pastors in Haiti.
- We gave $6,800 to GVCM to feed and support the welfare of the orphans, earthquake refugees, and staff at the All God's Children Orphanage in Fedja, Haiti. We will also send another $9,000 to Haiti for continued support in September.
- We sponsored a Golf Hole to benefit the 5th Annual Robin's Nest Children's Home in Jamaica. They raised a total of $21,000!
- We supported Stephanie Lise on her short-term mission trip with the Summer Training Project (STP), with Campus Crusade, as a team leader.
- We supported Kaela Pittman on her summer short-term mission trip to Haiti with Hayden Heights Baptist Church.
- We supported Fawn Sparks, a Harvest Academy graduate (meets at Five Oaks), with a scholarship to attend the EMS Academy.
- We sent a team to France to work at amp des Cimes. While there we visited with John and Sharon Stacknik, our supported missionaries in Toulouse, France. John and Sharon work primarily with the Muslim, North Africans in Toulouse. They are doing great work in a very difficult ministry.
- We were able to support Union Gospel Mission with a $5,000 donation towards their bid to purchase the Payne Avenue Outreach Center, 899 Payne Avenue.
- In a coordinated partnership between Global / Local P.E.A.C.E. and our Children's Ministry, we put on a Karen / Haiti backpack drive. Our congregation packed over 450 backpacks for the Karen kids in St. Paul and the Haitian orphans and students of All God's Children Orphanage / School in Fedja, Haiti.
- Tim and Nancy Navratil, our supported missionaries from Wuhan, China were in town. Beth Dalton hosted a wonderful dinner for the Navratils at her home. We got to know the Navratils better and hear about what their ministry was achieving in China.
- On Saturday, July 3, the Wiants led a group of highly motivated volunteers in preparing and serving a delicious meal for the homeless at the Dorothy Day Center in St Paul.
- In June, we sent out our 2nd quarter support payments to the 21 missionary families we support in the U.S. and throughout the world.
- We supported Victor Ezigbo, of Bethel University, with funds to purchase necessary office equipment for the Center for Research in Global Christianity (CRGC) in Nigeria.